Last Sunday we went to brunch at one of our favorite local restaurants, that has the best Philly Cheese Steak. When we were there this weekend, we ordered healthier items and passed on the delicious carbs and fried foods. On Monday we sat down to make our grocery list for the week and decided to make over Philly Cheese Steaks by nixing the bun and lightening up the essential cheese sauce. What we ended up with was Healthy Philly Cheese Steak Cupcakes that were delicious and only 5 points for two cupcakes.
In order to nix the bun we decided to use wonton wrappers to hold our cupcakes together. Wonton Wrappers are 1 point for 3 of the thin sheets so your possibilities with them are endless. I recommended checking out Emily Bites for some other creative uses of Wonton Wrappers that are Weight Watchers friendly.
The key to any Philly Cheese Steak (including Healthy Philly Cheese Steak Cupcakes) is the cheese or cheese sauce. We decided to use Laughing Cow because we already had it on hand and it’s a low fat/low calorie cheese that melts into recipes rather easily. We also debated using Velveeta, many people like cheese whiz on their cheese steaks. At 1 point an ounce it goes a long way once it is melted – so if you are of the cheese whiz variety you could sub Velveeta for the Laughing Cow Cheese.
When I compared the nutritional information of a traditional recipe to our version I was shocked. If you are keeping track of Weight Watchers points, a Philly Cheese Steak made at home is 25 points. Holy Crap! Compared to the Philly Cheese Steak Cupcakes at 5 points for two cupcakes.
Philly Cheese Steak Cupcakes
- 1 lb Top Round Beef
- 1 Vidalia Onion chopped
- 2 Sweet Peppers mixed colors, chopped
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped (optional)
- 1/2 package of Wonton Wrappers
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 package of Laughing Cow Cheese 4 triangles
- 1/3 cup skim mozzarella optional
- Chop onion, peppers and mushrooms
- Sautee onion, peppers, and mushrooms in olive oil, set aside when done
- While vegetables are cooking, slice beef VERY thinly-use a sharp knife and take your time!
- Layer 2 wonton wrappers into muffin tray to cover the inside
- Sautee thinly sliced beef in same pan you cooked the vegetables, just until pink is gone
- Add in the laughing cow cheese to the beef in the pan
- Assemble wonton cups by layering beef/cheese mixture and vegetable mixture, fill halfway, layer in one more wonton wrapper, and finish filling with beef and vegetable
- Top with mozzarella
- Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes