A few weeks ago, my husband was in London for the week on business. I don’t enjoy cooking for one so I wanted to make something that I could cook on Sunday and bet set for the week.When we made the Baked Spicy Chicken Egg Rolls last week we had about half of the package of egg roll wrappers left, so I decided to find a way to use them up. Knowing that the Egg Roll Wrappers can act like noodles but have less carbs, I decided to make a low-carb, Weight Watchers Lasagna.
Even though I was fairly certain that the Egg Roll Wrappers would work the way that I wanted them too, I was still fairly nervous about how this recipe would turn out. I’m far less confident in things that I create on my own vs. following a recipe. I think that with time I’ll become more confident in my cooking skills but alas I’m just not there yet.
Tips & Tricks
Here’s a few simple things I did that helped lighten the Weight Watchers Lasagna Recipe up compared to a traditional no fuss recipe.
- Replace Egg Noodles with Egg Roll Wrappers.
- Replaced Store Bought Tomato Sauce with a Quick Homemade Sauce
- Used Arugula as the filler between layers
- Used less cheese – and the cheese I did use was low fat
I think that if I were to make this recipe again, I might consider using ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese. I personally love cottage cheese but Zack’s not a huge fan so I’d be interested to see how it changes it.
Weight Watchers Lasagna
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 10-12 leaves of basil
- 1 lb uncooked ground beef sirloin
- 5 Egg Roll Wrappers cut in quarters
- 1 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
- 4 wedges Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge Garlic & Herb, Light
- 1/4 cup fat free mozzarella optional
- 4 ounces Arugula
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spritz a rectangular glass baking dish with olive oil to grease pan.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, shallot, basil, and olive oil in food processor, pulse until pureed then set aside.
- In a skillet over medium high heat cook ground sirloin, using spatula to break into fine pieces. (Optional: I seasoned the ground beef with oregano, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder)
- Once ground sirloin is cooked through, add cottage cheese and laughing cow wedges to skillet. Stir constantly until melted, then set aside.
- Begin layering lasagna in the following order: sauce, egg roll wrapper, generous amounts of arugula, 1/3 of meat mixture.
- Repeat layer 3 times, ending with egg roll wrapper topped lightly with sauce.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella if desired and garnish with basil.
- Bake for 15 minutes.